Monday, April 9, 2012

THINGS WE LIKE...EASTER

Easter is a special time of year. Not only is it an important religious holiday for Christians, but to me it also signifies the coming of Spring. Growing up in Baltimore, I was never one for the cold weather. While some embrace the four seasons, once the leaves started turning brown, Fall always reminded me of death and the impending Winter. Like a bear, I would not have minded curling up and hibernating all winter. But school stood in the way of that. I remember counting the days until the ground hog came out and couldn’t wait until the first crocuses started to burst thru the thawing ground. Spring was always the beacon of light that got me thru the winter. Now living in South Florida, I am fortunate enough to mark the year with celebrations, not weather changes. This Easter, I was not able to make it home to spend it with my family, so I hosted a dinner for 7 friends. I love to entertain. It is the perfect way to bring a group together and to enjoy the company of old and new friends. It is also the perfect time to try new recipes and new holiday décor ideas. And this year was no different. Each person was asked to make something or contribute in some way. This is my favorite way of gathering, as it makes each guest feel more connected to the celebration. Prior to my friends arrival, the table décor was decided. After trying a few different options , from my Mother’s Spode to my Grandmother’s Noritake, then my Raynud, I opted for the whimsy of my Margherita pattern by Missoni. The bright colors were perfect for my Easter tablescape. After setting the table and adding my mother’s silver and crystal that I pilfered when she and my Dad downsized, my friend Andres added two large centerpieces bursting with colorful tulips. For hsi finishing touches he placed his freshly dyed Easter eggs( his first time dyeing eggs!) to complete the "Easter Extravaganza". My friend Whitney did an amazing job with her shrimp cocktail and crab balls. Whitney has a special recipe for her cocktail sauce that gave both the shrimp and the crab balls some added “ zing”! Nisi arrived with the perfect plated tray of asparagus and a surprise tray of deviled eggs. She uses capers for a twist on the classic. Darin and Pablo outdid themselves with a pot of fingerling or “salt” potatoes and Frank amazed us all with a Pavlova that would have made Martha smile. Joseph supplied the wine, an amazing Salmon and just in case, a tray of mini pastries. I had great luck with a summer salad with jumbo lump crab meat, papaya and avocado, but the lamb was a little stubborn. We had a great time laughing about it though! Everyone parted with leftovers for lunch today…and an Easter basket filled with some of my childhood favorite candies!

No comments:

Post a Comment